Wondering how it would feel with a cup of steaming hot cuppa on a cold winter day? Well, this can happen with the aid of a suitable kettle in your kitchen cabinet. There are two main types of kettles available on the market: the traditional stovetop kettle and the electric kettle. Which one is best for you? Here we compare the two to help you decide which one would be the most feasible choice.
Key Differences between Stove Top Kettle and Electric Kettle
1. The traditional stovetop kettle is slower to heat up than the electric kettle and boils water much slower which is why it’s good for the environment and households with small children.
2. The electric kettle has a switch that can be used to turn the kettle on and off. If you forget to turn the kettle off, it is safe as there’s no danger of water boiling over and creating a mess in your kitchen. Stove-tops on the other hand don’t possess any type of switch.
3. The noise factor with stovetop kettles is much lower as they whistle at a very low frequency and there’s no danger of it waking up anyone in the house. Electric kettles, on the other hand, whistle at a higher frequency which can be quite irritating and annoying.
4. It’s easier to keep track of the water levels in electric kettles because there is a visible scale that tells you how much water you have poured in. This can not be said for stovetop kettles as they are less visible and keep their shape when the water level has reached up to half of its capacity.
What is a Stove-Top Kettle?
A stove-top kettle is a type of kettle that boils water by using a metal heating element inside the kettle. It boils water by heating it through contact with the metal base of the product. This is done on your stove top by placing it over direct heat. Water in a stove top kettle will boil at approximately 100 degrees Celsius and provide a nice cup of tea, coffee or any other beverage.
Features of a Stove-Top Kettle
1. Most kettles come with various features for safety and to make boiling water easier. Some of these features are as follows:
2. A whistle that sounds when the kettle has boiled. This helps to prevent over-boiling. It’s important to note that this is not a guarantee against the kettle flooding your kitchen or scalding you, it’s just an added level of safety.
3. An opening in the lid through which you can pour water into the kettle. Some kettles do not have this feature.
4. A handle that makes it easy to carry the kettle around.
5. A stay-cool knob on the lid of the product that you would usually cover with your hand while pouring water from it. This prevents heat from escaping and lets you feel safe holding the product.
6. A steam-release spout is usually located on the top of the product, just behind the handle. Sometimes this is also used to pour water from the kettle.
How to Use a Stove-Top Kettle
1. First, you need to find the right size of the kettle for your purposes. Different kettles have different water capacities. According to The Big Book of Kettles, the minimum number of cups of water a kettle can boil is 1 cup, while the maximum is 40 cups.
2. Now, remove any chip in your kettle (if there is one). This is done to make it more efficient and effective in performance.
3. Make sure that the kettle is positioned on a flat surface. That will provide safety and balance to the appliance, eliminating any accidents.
5. Next, prepare your favorite beverage and fill the opening in the lid with water (or pour it directly into a cup or mug). Ensure that the water level in the kettle does not get above half of its capacity.
6. Turn the heat on your stove to full and wait for the water to boil. When the water reaches 100 degrees Celsius, turn off the stove and remove the kettle from direct heat.
7. After use, ensure that you dry the kettle thoroughly before storing it away for later use.
What is an Electric Kettle?
An electric kettle is a type of kettle which normally boils water through the use of electricity. It consists of a water container and a heating system that heats the water in the container. An electric kettle can be considered either as a traditional stove top or as an induction-based model since it depends on electrical energy to produce the heat needed to boil water.
Features of an Electric Kettle
There are lots of kettle features that make an electric kettle easy to use and provide convenience to the user. Some of these features include:
1. There’s an automatic shut-off feature that turns itself off when the water boils and the lid is closed. This is a safety feature that prevents people from forgetting to turn off the kettle, thus creating sudden loads of steam and scalding water on themselves.
2. A reminder that sounds when the water has boiled and the lid is closed. This way, you will not be running your electric kettle, forgetting to turn it off but still hear the water boiling.
3. A timer that can be set for individual use or even up to one day before you need to make a drink. This will help you prepare your beverage just in time before going on a long trip or having guests together for fun!
4. A cordless base that helps you store the kettle easily and safely, as well as an electric cord that can be removed from the base when not in use.
5. An easy-to-read display on a digital interface to provide greater control over how to prepare your beverage with the kettle.
How to Use An Electric Kettle
1. First, you need to fill the water container with cold water. Remember that this container should be filled with at least one to two cups of water over the minimum required amount.
2. Next, plug in the kettle and turn it on (just like how you would do with a regular kettle). Make sure that the water does not come out from a closed lid when you have turned off the appliance.
3. Once the electric kettle is heated up, you can add your favorite ingredients to the container including teas, coffee, and even hot chocolate!
4. Finish making your beverage by closing the lid and pressing a button on the base of the appliance. It will help you know whether or not you are done quite easily since it will automatically turn off after 2 minutes.
5. Clean the kettle once you’re done using it by rinsing out the water inside the container and cleaning the lid of buildup. You can also unplug it from the base to prevent damage or malfunctions.
As you can see, an electric kettle is a good investment for those who are often in need of hot beverages, particularly during the colder months. Stove top kettle on the other hand is another option that is just as convenient and easy to use. However, the only difference between these two is that the stove top kettle is cheaper and does not come with a digital interface or auto-off feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much does a kettle cost?
Kettles can cost anywhere from $10-$200 depending on the brand, functionality, and style that you are looking for. This is one of the cheapest kitchen appliances that you can invest in because it provides an extensive number of benefits over a traditional stovetop kettle.
2. Can I buy an electric kettle as a gift?
Yes, you can! To create a more personal gift, you can pair it with a handkerchief or a mug set. You can also opt to wrap the kettle in wrapping paper for easy gift giving.
3. What is the heating element of an electric kettle made up of?
The heating element inside the kettle is made up of a thermoelectric material that produces heat when electricity is passed through it. This type of material is also used in other appliances like hair dryers, radios and toasters and is safe for use.
4. How do you clean a stove-top kettle?
If you want to clean your stove-top kettle, it’s better to use warm soapy water instead of using any chemical cleaning products for this appliance. This will ensure that you get rid of all the food particles stuck inside and the oven would be clean.